Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Our Trees  Our Trees
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2.5.2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Our Ruler/Ruller Roots (Read 6254 times)
Mel Ruller
YaBB Moderator

I love Genealogy!

Our Ruler/Ruller Roots
Apr 21st, 2008 at 5:07pm

Our Ruller Roots are in Yorkshire England.

Attached are two files of correspondence received by Mel Ruler in Canada, from William Arthur Eastwood Thomas Ruler in Yorkshire England in 1992. One is a copy of a “Ruler Family Crest” and the other is William A’s accompanying letter. The letter may be a little difficult to make out and reads:

“Dear Mr. Ruller
     As a distant relative I enclose a photo of the family crest, which my son presented me with framed at Christmas.
     I don’t know whether this will add to your collection, however I asked a librarian if I was permitted to bear these arms on the panels of my car, he said “Yes but only on the inside”
     Kind Regards to you all

Arthur”

Check out the return address in the upper right corner. I guess for a man with four given names there's an advantage to reducing it to W.A.E.T. Ruler.

Mel Ruller met William Arthur Eastwood Thomas Ruler and his wife Hilda May, (nee Lawton), when he was on a Genealogical trip to Yorkshire about 1990. Mel looked the name Ruler up in the Hull Yorkshire telephone book and was invited up for tea. It was a warm rainy evening and we had a nice visit in front of a tiny and cozy, open, coal burning fireplace. in their little house on Derrymore Road in Hull. They both welcomed me and were very pleasant. William didn’t have much to say about his ancestors and relatives and his business. Hilda was quiet and had little to say. We speculated as to whether his branch of the Ruler family could be connected to the Canadian Rullers. He didn't think so but humored my enthusiastic optimism. We exchanged Christmas cards every year after that until their deaths in March and September of 1999.

In the spring of 2008, Mel received correspondence from Sharon Allred in the USA, in which she has connected both of the above Yorkshire and Canadian Ruler/Ruller branches and extended our mutual ancestors back to at least William Ruler who was Christened February 25, 1763 at Howden, Yorkshire, England, and perhaps even one more generation, who is also William.

William Ruler of Howden is the 3rd Great Grandfather of William Arthur Eastwood Thomas Ruler in Yorkshire England and he is the fourth Great Grandfather of Mel Ruler in Canada. This makes William Arthur Eastwood Thomas Ruler and Mel Ruller, 4th cousins once removed!

Hopefully with time we will unravel more of the mysteries regarding our origins.

Mel Ruller

PS: Check in the first reply for the 2nd atachment

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (218 KB | )

Mel Ruller&&mruller@cogeco.ca&&1-519-846-0425&&39 Sophia Street, Elora, Ont. N0B 1S0 Canada

IP Logged

Mel Ruller
YaBB Moderator

I love Genealogy!

Re: Our Ruler/Ruller Roots
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2008 at 5:14pm

The Ruler Family Crest is attached below.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (322 KB | )

Mel Ruller&&mruller@cogeco.ca&&1-519-846-0425&&39 Sophia Street, Elora, Ont. N0B 1S0 Canada

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print