Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Our Trees  Our Trees
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2.5.2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Brotherston Then & Now (Read 2621 times)
Randy Ruller
YaBB Administrator

My hovercraft is full
of eels

Casselman, Ontario, Canada
Brotherston Then & Now
Jun 25th, 2006 at 12:43pm

In June of 2005, my Dad and I jumped in his truck on a fine June morning, armed with minimal digital photography equipment, a remote flash, lunch, my Mom made, water, bug repellant and a mission.

We where heading up to the Brotherston area to identify a couple of government named swamp lands, referenced to in Montezuma’s journals, as well as shoot any relevant headstones in the 3 local cemeteries & to have a look at the properties and home Montezuma bought, built & developed as well as brought his family up on.

During our visit to Brotherston, Dad & I met the wife of the current "Brothers Gore" owner and their infant daughter (the Fry’s) & well the house has been largely renovated by them, I was able to visited Montezuma’s “Closet of Solitude” (spoken of often within his journals), located under the stairs going up stairs, off the kitchen.

Attached are photos of the house from around the property as it looked on our visit in June of 2005 as well as one old early shot. Elsewhere on our Ruller YaBB you can view his home, property & post office, all photographed between the end of the 19th century & beginning of the 20th.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (605 KB | )

Randy Ruller&&randy@randoon.com&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login
IP Logged

Randy Ruller
YaBB Administrator

My hovercraft is full
of eels

Re: Brotherston Then & Now
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2006 at 1:09pm

I also got this great photo of over one hundred years of foot wear on the west door sill. Undoubtedly much of this wear was produced by our ancestors.

Note the wear is off center and to the left, exiting the house.

Did You Know?
11% of all folks are left handed. My grandmother (Barker) and I both where left handed.
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2006 at 2:13pm by Randy Ruller »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (1155 KB | )

Randy Ruller&&randy@randoon.com&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login
IP Logged

Randy Ruller
YaBB Administrator

My hovercraft is full
of eels

Re: Brotherston Then & Now
Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2006 at 1:18pm

My Mom & Dad where in Brotherston, just two weeks before the spring of 2005 and Dad took this picture of Montezuma’s house.

It’s easy to imagine Montezuma’s journal entries about the cold in this house over 100 years earlier, & I wonder where everyone slept then. With the cold, I bet they slept together, girls & boys in each top room. I think Mom & Dad’s room was on the main floor in the small room off the kitchen, below the stairs to the second level.

I saw the humble main level interior of their home, on a visit to Brotherston with Dad in June of 2005 and was in awe.

The kitchen is about 1/2 of the entire main level, or the entire back of the house, less the stairs up. The living room was 60% of the rest of the floor & then there was a small room with a window below the stairs up and an even smaller closet of a room without a window, on the other end of the living room that has been converted to a washroom with, if I recall, a shower stall.

In addition there is a sunroom right out the front that is smaller now by 40% than it was at the turn of the 20th century.

In the earlier photo included above, this sunroom is much bigger than it is now. Earlier photos of the house here at the YaBB & the reference to purchasing the glass panes for it in one of Montezuma’s journals, suggest it was an outdoor porch originally.
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2006 at 3:32pm by Randy Ruller »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (1215 KB | )

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print