Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Our Trees  Our Trees
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2.5.2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
THE YEAR 1905 One Hundred years ago (Read 3171 times)
Randy Ruller
YaBB Administrator

My hovercraft is full
of eels

Casselman, Ontario, Canada
THE YEAR 1905 One Hundred years ago
Dec 16th, 2005 at 1:32pm

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see."

By an unknown author. 1905

Randy Ruller&&randy@randoon.com&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login
IP Logged

Randy Ruller
YaBB Administrator

My hovercraft is full
of eels

Casselman, Ontario, Canada
Re: THE YEAR 1905 One Hundred years ago
Reply #1 - Dec 16th, 2005 at 1:41pm

The year is 1905.
One hundred years ago.
What a difference a century makes!

Here are some of the Canadian statistics for the Year 1905:

The average life expectancy in Canada was 47 years. I just turned 48.

Only 14 percent of the homes had a bathtub.

Only 8 percent of the homes had a telephone.

A three-minute call from Montreal to Toronto cost eleven dollars.

There were only 8,000 cars in the U.S. and CANADA, and only 144 miles of paved roads.

The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph.

The tallest structure in the world was the Eiffel Tower! 

The average wage was 22 cents per hour.

The average Canadian worker made between  $200 and $400 per year.

A competent accountant could expect to earn $2000 per year, a dentist $2,500 per year, a veterinarian between $1,500 and $4,000 per year, and a mechanical engineer about $5,000 per year.

More than 95 percent of all births took place at home.

Ninety percent of all Canadian doctors had no  college education.
Instead, they attended so-called medical schools, many of which were condemned in the press and by the government as "substandard."

Sugar cost 4 cents a pound.
Eggs were 14 cents a dozen.
Coffee was 15 cents a pound.

Most women only washed their hair once a month, and used borax or egg yolks for shampoo, but not yogurt.   

Canada passed a law that prohibited poor people from entering into the country for any reason.

Five leading causes of death were:
         1. Pneumonia and influenza
         2. Tuberculosis
         3. Diarrhea
         4. Heart disease
         5. Stroke

The population of Las Vegas, Nevada, was only 30!

Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and ice tea hadn't been invented yet.

There was no Mother's Day or Father's Day.

Two out of every 10 Canadian adults couldn't read or write.

Only 6 percent of all Canadians had graduated from high school.

Heroin and morphine were both available over the counter at the local corner drugstores.
Back then pharmacist said, "Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind, regulates the stomach and bowels, and is, in fact, a perfect guardian of health."

18 percent of households had at least one full-time servant or domestic help.

There were about 230 reported murders in the entire U.S.

I posted this from someone else without typing it myself, and posted it here in a matter of minutes!

Try to imagine what it may be like in another 100 years.

Randy Ruller&&randy@randoon.com&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login
IP Logged

Mel Ruller
YaBB Moderator

I love Genealogy!

Re: THE YEAR 1905 One Hundred years ago
Reply #2 - Dec 18th, 2005 at 1:37pm

Now that we are nearing the end of the year 2005, it is interesting to take note that Montezuma Brothers wrote two letters to the Department of the Interior, one hundred years ago. One of them, on December 7th 1905., and one of them some time after October 16th and before December the 7th, 1905.  In the first undated letter he prophetically says:

"when another 100 years has past and gone as it is today with Nelson’s anniversary"

In that statement Montezuma is referring to 100 years into the future, (That's us right now) and he was referring to Admiral Nelson's victory at Trafalgar 100 years into his past, (now 200 years for us.)

Admiral Nelson’s famous victory at Trafalgar was on the 21st of October 1805! Probably 100 years to-the-day from the date Montezuma was writing his letter! (Remember, Montezuma’s undated letter is in reply to a letter dated Oct 16th 1905, from the Ministry of the Interior) So it's kind of prophetic for us, Montezuma was remembering Nelson’s 100 year anniversary and forecasting a further 100 yrs into the future. We are now at or slightly past that 100 years into the future, the 21st of October this year, 2005

Did any one notice anything unusual that Montezuma might have been predicting 100 years ahead??

There is no doubt that Montezuma Brothers was a brilliant and well educated man

To read the full text of the above referenced two letters, Look under the Ruller YaBB category LETTERS, and the subject Department of The Interior Request

Mel Ruller&&mruller@cogeco.ca&&1-519-846-0425&&39 Sophia Street, Elora, Ont. N0B 1S0 Canada

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print