Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Our Trees  Our Trees
  Welcome to the Kinfolks.ca Forums!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
William Brothers & The Mayne Corners Cemetery (Read 1798 times)
Randy Ruller
YaBB Administrator

My hovercraft is full
of eels

Casselman, Ontario, Canada
William Brothers & The Mayne Corners Cemetery
Aug 11th, 2005 at 3:21pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login
In June of 2005, while visiting the cemetery at Mayne Corners, just a few kilometers west of Brotherston, in search of Montezuma Brothers’ 4 1/2 year old son William’s grave, my Dad and I met a fellow working in his yard next door to the graveyard. His name was Mr. H. Kritzer and he had lived in the area all his life and on this property for many years.

Well it turned out Mr. Kritzer had a list of all the folks buried in the cemetery as well as a model he had built in 1969 of the church that used to be there.

His model had seen better days and was in storage in his shed; however he did have this lovely photo of it, taken years earlier.  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login
Mr. Kritzer’s model was built the way the church looked after renovations at Mayne Corners, the way he knew it. This drawing, from the Ontario Agriculture Museum in Milton, is how it looked originally, about 1876.

The church has since been numbered, disassembled and rebuilt at the Country Heritage Park, an interactive heritage park depicting agriculture and rural life over the last 150 years. It is located on an 80 acre site with over 30 other exhibit buildings and 20,000 artifacts, all nestled in the shadow of the Niagara Escarpment south of Highway 401, on Tremaine Road west of Milton, Ontario.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login

The church as it stands today has been rebuilt the way it originally looked in the late 1800s before renovation. Furnished with turn of the century artifacts, the windows, pews and oil lamps are all original to the church.

We never did find William’s grave but according to Mr. Kritzer there are many gravestones no longer visible because they have long since fallen over and are now covered in soil and grass, however, because we have Mr. Kritzer list, we feel confident that William’s internment was, in fact, here.

Montezuma’s life changed dramatically as of January 1st 1860 and it remained that way until his own death, 47 years later, June 17th 1907.

Quotation: Oliver Lewis "Ollie" Hargrave
"One evening Willie spoke to his father Montezuma and said, ‘I'm going to die’ and his father said, 'No you're not, you're perfectly well.'
But morning came and Willie had died.

That was the third sign for Montezuma and from there on he became an ardent believer in God."

Excerpts from Montezuma's Journal;
Dec.28,1859 - Had a terrible afternoon , offered  my first prayer.
Dec.29,1859 - William was sick.
Dec.30,1859 - William worsened sent for Hannah to Wellsley.
Dec.31,1859 - Hannah got home at midnight , William is still very low.
Jan. 1,1860 - Was very sorrwful day with us William died at about 5 oclock this evening. (written later in different ink) Hear Mothers Bible- spoke to me & condemmed me & I came near hell.
Jan. 2,1860 - A lowley and sorrowful day with us.
Jan. 3,1860 - We buried William at Main (Mayne) grave yard.
Sept.29,1902 - But Thou dids't see fit to take away my first born son to be forever with Thee. When quite young (only 4 years old) Oh! how I loved that boy --- when he was with me .  But == Thou had a better right to him than I had.  And Thou knowest all about how things worked with me then -- and even unto now I consider that he was taken away from all Evils of the world. To a happy home ,prepared for thine own.

Quotation: Cosie Amelia (nee Brothers) Hathway
"My grandfather (Wesley Brothers, youngest son of Montezuma) told my father & my father (Ivan M. J. Brothers) told me, 'The barn door fell on William.'"
« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2005 at 6:53am by Randy Ruller »  

Randy Ruller&&randy@randoon.com&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print