Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Our Trees  Our Trees
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2.5.2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Department of The Interior Request and Montezuma B (Read 2743 times)
Mel Ruller
YaBB Moderator

I love Genealogy!

Department of The Interior Request and Montezuma B
Feb 25th, 2005 at 6:25pm

Posted here is a written request from the Canadian Government Department of Interior, Mapping Division, dated October 16, 1905, requesting information as to the origin of the place name of Brotherston.

Posted along with the official typed request from The Government, are Montezuma Brothers two, (2), hand written replies that he made to this request.

In his replies Montezuma implores the writer to come and visit him in Brotherston where he will be made welcome and shown all the history and information that he, Montezuma has written on this and many other subjects.

Montezuma's letters are included here as an example of his actual writing. Please try reading them. Enlarging the print will make it much easier to decipher individual words or even single characters.

In a future reply to this post, I will post my transcription of Montezuma's handwritten letters of reply into an "easier-to-read" "Word" document.
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2005 at 7:43am by Mel Ruller »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (2163 KB | )

Mel Ruller&&mruller@cogeco.ca&&1-519-846-0425&&39 Sophia Street, Elora, Ont. N0B 1S0 Canada

IP Logged

Mel Ruller
YaBB Moderator

I love Genealogy!

Re: Department of The Interior Request and Montezu
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2005 at 5:22pm

As promised in the previous Posting, This post and the next, contain our transcriptions of Montezuma Brothers two, (2) letters of reply that he sent in response to a request from The Department of The Interior, Office of Geographer, for information about the origin of the place name Brotherston in Perth County, Ontario, Canada

Also included are some of the transcriber's notes and observations .

These transcriptions have been difficult, considering that the letters were written in late 1905, less than two years before Montezuma Brothers died and the quality of the writing as well as the photocopies is not the best.

We are indebted to Melinda Brasier, (a Brothers descendent) for her dedication and assistance in helping me to transcribe these two letters and to compare notes via e-mail.

There are some new revelations in these letters, Like the fact that Montezuma once went to Manitoba to "visit his families there," also some further insights into Montezuma's knowledge of history and the "hinted at" extent of his writings!

Enjoy!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (34 KB | )

Mel Ruller&&mruller@cogeco.ca&&1-519-846-0425&&39 Sophia Street, Elora, Ont. N0B 1S0 Canada

IP Logged

Mel Ruller
YaBB Moderator

I love Genealogy!

Re: Department of The Interior Request and Montezu
Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2005 at 5:31pm

Montezuma Brothers' second letter of Reply to The Department of the Interior

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (28 KB | )

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print