Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Our Trees  Our Trees
  Welcome to the Kinfolks.ca Forums!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Montezuma Brothers' Journals (Read 13032 times)
Melinda
YaBB Moderator

We should be dancing!

Washington, USA
Montezuma Brothers' Journals
Jan 31st, 2005 at 1:41am

Dear Folks,

Fern Boyne (nee Gile) sent me all of Montezuma's journals that she has tracked down over the years.  Unfortunately, some are missing.

She asked me to post them here for all to enjoy, as this was Montezuma's wish, "My books are on the book shelf, to be kept for all to read."

If someone knows where the missing journals are, we'd all be very grateful.

A lot of work was done transcribing these journals into print, so I am including those known transcribers with the file. 

Attached:

Montezuma's journal 1856 Sept - 1861 Apr
...........typed by Thomas McRae.............

You will find a gap between this journal and the next that starts in 1872 Dec, so it appears that 1861 Apr - 1872 Nov is missing.

Melinda

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (89 KB | )

IP Logged

Melinda
YaBB Moderator

We should be dancing!

Washington, USA
Re: Montezuma Brothers' Journals
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2005 at 1:45am

Attached:

Montezuma's journal 1872 Dec - 1874 Apr

You will find a gap between this journal and the next that starts 1874 Jun, so it appears that 1874 May is missing.

Melinda

UPDATE (March 9, 2005):

Found missing pages.  

Click below to see corrected journal (1872 Dec - 1874 Jun).

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login

Melinda
« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2005 at 4:45am by Melinda »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (43 KB | )

IP Logged

Melinda
YaBB Moderator

We should be dancing!

Washington, USA
Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2005 at 1:46am

Attached:

Montezuma's journal 1874 Jun - 1877 Nov

Melinda

UPDATE (March 9, 2005):

Fixed this journal. 

Pages were originally inserted out of date order.

Click below to see updated journal (1874 Jun - 1877 Nov).

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login

Melinda
« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2005 at 4:43am by Melinda »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (120 KB | )

IP Logged

Melinda
YaBB Moderator

We should be dancing!

Washington, USA
Reply #3 - Jan 31st, 2005 at 1:47am

Attached:

Montezuma's journal 1877 Nov - 1878 Dec

Melinda

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (59 KB | )

IP Logged

Melinda
YaBB Moderator

We should be dancing!

Washington, USA
Reply #4 - Jan 31st, 2005 at 1:47am

Attached:

Montezuma's journal 1879 Jan - Dec

Melinda

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (74 KB | )

IP Logged

Melinda
YaBB Moderator

We should be dancing!

Washington, USA
Reply #5 - Jan 31st, 2005 at 1:48am

Attached:

Montezuma's journal 1880 Jan - Dec

Melinda

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (50 KB | )

IP Logged

Melinda
YaBB Moderator

We should be dancing!

Washington, USA
Reply #6 - Jan 31st, 2005 at 1:50am

Attached:

Montezuma's journal 1881 Jan - Mar

You will find a gap between this journal and the next one that starts 1901 Nov, so it appears that 1881 Mar - 1901 Nov is missing.

Melinda

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (23 KB | )

IP Logged

Melinda
YaBB Moderator

We should be dancing!

Washington, USA
Reply #7 - Jan 31st, 2005 at 1:55am

Attached:

Montezuma's journal 1901 Nov - Dec
.............transcribed by Ivan Brothers to an old ledger of Thomas Brothers', typed by Fern Boyne (nee Gile)...............

Melinda

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (46 KB | )

IP Logged

Melinda
YaBB Moderator

We should be dancing!

Washington, USA
Reply #8 - Jan 31st, 2005 at 1:58am

Attached:

Montezuma's journal 1902 Jan - mid Dec
.............transcribed by Ivan Brothers to an old ledger of Thomas Brothers', typed by Fern Boyne (nee Gile)...............

Melinda

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (366 KB | )

IP Logged

Melinda
YaBB Moderator

We should be dancing!

Washington, USA
Reply #9 - Jan 31st, 2005 at 2:00am

Attached:

Montezuma's journal 1902 last part of Dec

Melinda

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (18 KB | )

IP Logged

Melinda
YaBB Moderator

We should be dancing!

Washington, USA
Reply #10 - Jan 31st, 2005 at 2:10am

Attached:

Montezuma's journal 1903 Jan - 1906 Jun
.............Fern Boyne (nee Gile) found at the Perth Archives who copied them for her, then Fern typed them..............

A big thank you to Fern!

I don't know if Montezuma wrote during the last year of his life, as he died 1907 Jun.

Melinda

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (498 KB | )

IP Logged

Mel Ruller
YaBB Moderator

I love Genealogy!

Reply #11 - Jan 31st, 2005 at 10:09am

Wow Melinda and Fern:

This is a tremendous find and an awesome undertaking!

This daily journal covers almost all of Montezuma's married life!

There are many references to the Rullers as well as numerous other families who were Montezuma's relatives, friends and neighbours.

It also tracks Montezuma's personal transformation throughout his life, from a confirmed Agnostic (a person who believes that, at our present level of knowledge, we cannot know whether or not a God exists), to a ferverent Christian.

I've got photocopies of some of the years of Montezuma's "Journals" and I know from trying that they are extremely difficult to read. (seeming almost not worth the effort.) I never thought that anybody would ever transcribe the whole lot. It appears to me, as if much of the originals are faded and then that the photocopies that I have, have been copied and recopied many times in an age when photocopies weren't so good anyway.
In this early period of handwriting, some alphabetic letters were written differently than they are now, particularly the letter "S" was written like our present day "F". This practice slowly died out by each different writer

Congratulations on a HUGE addition to the Brothers memorabilia and The Ruller YaBB, Fern and Melinda.

Mel Ruller&&mruller@cogeco.ca&&1-519-846-0425&&39 Sophia Street, Elora, Ont. N0B 1S0 Canada

IP Logged

Carole Chapman
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Parry Sound, Ontario
Reply #12 - Jan 31st, 2005 at 10:11am

Thank you so much for posting these treasures.  To be able to read the notations of my great great grandfather is a gift beyond measure.  Thankfully, Montezuma took the time to jot down his thoughts and daily activities.  These notations and thoughts give me insight about the time in history they were written and about Montezuma himself.  I haven't even read them thoroughly, but I know it will be an emotional link thru time between us.  Thankfully, these were preserved and passed along to those of us who descend from Montezuma.  The time and effort of Ivan and Fern for transcribing these journals is very much appreciated.
Thanks so much again.
Carole Chapman (nee Brothers) daughter of Wilford Roy and Marion Olive (Chislett) Brothers, granddaughter of Charles Thomas & Martha Ann (Kiteley) Brothers, great granddaughter of Montezuma and Hannah (Cunningham) Brothers.

IP Logged

Randy Ruller
YaBB Administrator

My hovercraft is full
of eels

Casselman, Ontario, Canada
Reply #13 - Jan 31st, 2005 at 9:14pm

What an awesome contribution to the YaBB. I had an awful time at work today. I kept popping up his 1901 journal, Nov-Dec, every time I passed by the computer. At one point, in the afternoon, I had a call to show an exhaust system to a tenant and forgot about them as I continued to read. They had to call me again.  Shocked

Randy Ruller&&randy@randoon.com&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login
IP Logged

Mel Ruller
YaBB Moderator

I love Genealogy!

Reply #14 - Feb 8th, 2005 at 12:06pm

Montezuma's Journal

The "missing month of May 1874"

I've included a few entries before and after May 1874 to ensure continuity.

This transcription is not from Montezuma’s original hand written Journal, but from a hand written transcription of the original by some unknown (to me), person. It begins with the 23rd of January 1857 and continues intermittently through to the 12th of March 1861, then a larger gap to  21st of Dec 1872 and intermittently through to the 24th of November 1877.

Hope more "missing parts of this Journal will turn up from time to time and will be posted on this YaBB Format.

Mel Ruller

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (27 KB | )

Mel Ruller&&mruller@cogeco.ca&&1-519-846-0425&&39 Sophia Street, Elora, Ont. N0B 1S0 Canada

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print