Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Our Trees  Our Trees
  Welcome to the Kinfolks.ca Forums!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Brothers_John 1868 to 1936 (Read 1467 times)
Mel Ruller
YaBB Moderator

I love Genealogy!

Brothers_John 1868 to 1936
Sep 12th, 2004 at 11:52am

The following is a brief History about John Brothers, (son of Montezuma) and his wife Eliza Montgomery, (daughter of Mary Ruller).

Excerpt from the booklet titled "Pioneers of Grandview"
John Brothers was one of a family of eleven. He Was born on January 14, 1868 in Wallace Township, Ontario and lived there until he was a young man. He then moved to Roden, Manitoba where he met and married Eliza Agnes Montgomery.
Eliza Agnes Montgomery was one of a family of eight. Eliza's Mother was Mary Ruller, dau. of William George Ruller & Eliza Holgate) She was born March 4, 1875 in Lower Fort Gary, (Now Winnipeg)
Mr. and Mrs. Brothers were married on January 3, 1893 in Roden and lived there until they moved to Grandview in 1896 or 1897. Mr Brothers bought the west half of 33-25-23 from the C.P.R. Railway. The following is the family: James G. Born in Roden, 1893, died in infancy, Montezuma Leslie born in Roden, 1896, lived in Trail, British Columbia, died 1971, Allan E. born in Grandview, 1903, died 1944, Albert E. Born in Grandview 1905, (The author of this story), now living in Parksville, British Columbia, (Now deceased) Linda I. born in Grandview 1913, now Mrs. J.S. Johnson living in Trail, British Columbia.
I remember my father, John Brothers, saying that coming to Grandview, the route was so wet they had to camp overnight with horses and wagon standing in water. The school attended was Artemesia, which was erected in 1902. There were all day trips when the children were young to pick wild raspberries and strawberries at Riding Mountain, and in winter, wood was hauled from there too. I remember both swimming and fishing in Silver Creek which ran through our farm. My father raised wheat for sale. He also raised oats and barley which were mostly used as feed for his purebred Shorthorn cattle, pigs, chickens, geese, turkeys, guinea hens and 18 head of horses.
In the fall we picked high bush cranberries along the banks of the Valley River. Once when my mother was picking, she heard a rustling on the other side of the bush. She peeked through and came face to face with a bear! Mother decided there were other bushes that were better than this one!
We had a neighbour who was overly fond of his liquor, so several times Dad was asked to take him home from town in our small cart. Tom, a great story teller, was wont to pound his fist to emphasize a point in his tale. Every time he banged a fist, the horse leaped ahead and Tom tumbled over the back of the seat onto the road. Dad had to stop, help him back in, and away they went until it happened all over again.
The family lived in Grandview approximately 25 years, moving to Texas in 1921. They farmed year round in the Rio Grande Valley, growing grapefruit, oranges, watermelon, cotton, corn and other vegetables. In 1932, they left Texas for Victoria, British Columbia, to live with Mrs. James Joynt, formerly of Grandview. My Mother, (Eliza Montgomery), had lived with her aunt, Mrs. Joynt, (The former Elizabeth Ruller), after her own mother, (Mary Ruller), had died.
In early 1936 they moved to Trail, B.C. where my brother Montezuma and I were living. On October 30, 1936, John died followed a week later by Eliza, both are buried in the Rossland Cemetery.
By Albert E. Brothers.

The author of this post doesn't have a copy of the book "Pioneers of Grandview", just a one page copy. If anyone could locate a copy it could have others of our ancestors who lived around the same area. There are other booklets like this for other areas in the west. This area was very close to Bradwardine Manitoba, where several others of the early Ruller familes lived and where William George Ruller and Eliza Holgate ended their days in the early 1880's

I do have a 20,(or so) page Autobiography of James Montgomery, Eliza's father who married Mary Ruller on the 25th of August 1873. I have scanned it with a word recognition software and am presently cleaning it up for Posting as a Word document. It's full of historical data, people, relatives, places etc. Watch for it on The Ruller YaBB
Mel Ruller

Mel Ruller&&mruller@cogeco.ca&&1-519-846-0425&&39 Sophia Street, Elora, Ont. N0B 1S0 Canada

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print