Send Topic Print
1841 British Census (Read 3334 times)
Melinda
YaBB Moderator

We should be dancing!

Washington, USA
1841 British Census
Jul 1st, 2004 at 9:44pm

I recently read where the 1841 British census is currently being transcribed online.  Bishops Itchington was one parish done, and guess who I found?   Cheesy  Montezuma Brothers at about the age 15, his brother William Brothers at about the age 11, their father Thomas Brothers at about the age 50, and their widowed grandmother Mary Griffin at about the age 75(see below).  In the journals shared by Lois McKinnon, it states that Montezuma was sent back to England for schooling about 1837/38.  Then, in 1842, father Thomas, Montezuma, and William migrated to Canada to claim land given to Montezuma by his Uncle John who received it for his service as a British officer in the army (which Carole and I now believe was actually the navy).  This would all fit.  Thomas comes to bring home the kids from England, then the next year they migrate to Canada, since Montezuma probably just obtained the land grant while in England.  Montezuma and William's younger brother, Albert, remained in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Warwickshire Ancestors Project — 1841
Transcript of Piece HO107/1138(Bishops Itchington)
Address,Head Ind,Name,Male Age,Female Age,Occupation,Born in County

Enumeration District 16 - Bishops Itchington
Folio 17 Page 7

Village,1,Mary Brothers,,75,Independent,WAR,
,,Thomas Brothers,50,,Independent,WAR
,,Montaryuma Brothers,15,,,Not in county,
,,William Brothers,11,,,Not in county,
,,Ann Eden,,45,Ag Lab,WAR,

Melinda

IP Logged

Mel Ruller
YaBB Moderator

I love Genealogy!

Re: 1841 British Census
Reply #1 - Jul 2nd, 2004 at 7:09am

Wow That's a find!

When Phylis Egan's documents say that Thomas Brothers Imigrated to Canada in 1842, I always assumed that it was FROM Philadelphia USA, because he'd been in the USA since 1824! I don't think any of us ever suspected that Thomas and Montezuma and his brother were back in England in 1842 and that they Immigrated to Canada from there!! I wonder what Thomas did with his hat shop and residence in Philadelphia when he went back to England??

Now imagine this. The original Ruler clan imigrated to Canada from England in 1842 also! I don't know exactly where they were up until the 1851 Canadian census when we find them in Hawksville in Waterloo Twsp. By then, Montezuma Brothers is living nearby as a neighbour and is married to Hanna Cunningham in the same year.
The early pioneers tended to stick together in the groups they immigrated with. It's possible that the Rullers and the Brothers travelled together after arriving in Canada. They certainly did after Hawksville, even to including further immigration to Western Canada.
Early Ruller family tradition has always said "After they arrived in Quebec City, they live din the Eastern Townships of Quebec for a short time". i've always wondered where they were for the 7 or 8 years between then and Hawksville in 1851. For some time now I had suspected that they were in Tecumseth Twsp. , because there is mention of visitors from Tecumseth in the Ruller household during one of the later, (1861 or 1871) censuses. The Cunninghams and Lewises, Hannah's parents, lived in Tecumseth Township and it is very near to New Market Ontario, where Thomas Brothers lived from shortly after his immigration to Canada in 1842 till his death.

By the way Melinda, could you check the 1841 British census for Rullers? They are in there but maybe we could find more clues?

Mel Ruller&&mruller@cogeco.ca&&1-519-846-0425&&39 Sophia Street, Elora, Ont. N0B 1S0 Canada

IP Logged

Melinda
YaBB Moderator

We should be dancing!

Washington, USA
Re: 1841 British Census
Reply #2 - Jul 2nd, 2004 at 11:53am

Hi Mel,

I sure will have a look to see if I can find any Rulers in this 1841 British census, but not all of the parishes are transcribed yet.

Here is the web address where I found the 1841 Warwickshire census:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login

However, I don't believe Thomas, Montezuma, and William went straight to Canada from England in 1842.  I believe they probably came back to Philadelphia first, then packed up and left.  I don't know what Thomas did with his hat shop during this time.  He did have a daughter Mary "Jane" Brothers by his first marriage to Elizabeth "Betty" Griffin born 1817/1818 who married Albert Howell around 1837/1839.  "Jane" was the only child to survive from that marriage.  In the 1850 PA census, Albert Howell was listed as a Mariner, and Jane's half brother (Montezuma's full brother) Albert was living with them.  Albert Brothers, 25, was listed as a  Victualler (a licensed purveyor of spirits; innkeeper).  So, Albert Brothers must have stayed back in PA with his half sister, while father Thomas and brothers Montezuma and William were in England in 1841, and that is why he was still living with them in 1850.  My hypothesis, anyhow.

Melinda

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print