Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Our Trees  Our Trees
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2.5.2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Brothers - Montezuma & family portraits (Read 13756 times)
Kent Brothers
YaBB Newbies

It's not what you think

North Vancouver, BC
Brothers - Montezuma & family portraits
Jun 22nd, 2004 at 1:59am

Attached photo is of Montezuma Brothers and his wife Hannah (nee Cunningham).  Date is unknown but probably ~1900.

Phyllis Egan has the original.  As of June 2004 she was living in Peachland.  Phyllis is the granddaughter of Montezuma's son James.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (1542 KB | )
IP Logged

Kent Brothers
YaBB Newbies

It's not what you think

North Vancouver, BC
Re: Brothers - Montezuma & family portraits
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2004 at 11:37pm

The photo here is that of the Montezuma and Hannah and their children (except John) together with their wives (except Charles wife).  Date of the photo is unknown but probably ~1890.

The original photo is with Phyllis Egan (see initial post).

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (262 KB | )
IP Logged

Kent Brothers
YaBB Newbies

It's not what you think

North Vancouver, BC
Re: Brothers - Montezuma & family - portraits
Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2004 at 11:39pm

Here is the same photo with names overlaid, per Phyllis.  Anyone know who the child is?

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (289 KB | )
IP Logged

Kent Brothers
YaBB Newbies

It's not what you think

North Vancouver, BC
Reply #3 - Jun 26th, 2004 at 1:01pm

Photo of Montezuma's four sons.  From left to right:  Charles, Wesley, James, and John.

Original is with Phyllis Egan (see initial post).

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (334 KB | )
IP Logged

Melinda
YaBB Moderator

We should be dancing!

Washington, USA
Reply #4 - Jun 29th, 2004 at 12:36pm

Kent,

What great photos!!!  Thanks for sharing!

The child in the family portrait is none other than my grandfather, Wilford "Guy" Brothers.  Don't know how he was the only kid to get in the picture, but it makes it very special to me.   Cheesy

And, I love the picture of Charles, Wesley, James and John.  What truly handsome men!

Melinda

IP Logged

Mel Ruller
YaBB Moderator

I love Genealogy!

Reply #5 - Jun 30th, 2004 at 5:00am

Thanks to Kent Brothers for these latest 'Brothers" photos. I too have an original of some of these. I inherited an original of the picture of the four Brothers boys, Charles, Wesley, James and John, from my father Charles Melvin Ruller, (Son of Ida Brothers) I also inherited a similar picture of some or all of the Brothers girls, (Montezuma's children.) I've moved twice since inheriting these pictures and a very great personal mystery is I CAN'T FIND THEM!
So I especially appreciate having these good quality pictures on this forum. Any one of us, (or every one of us, have the opportunity to have top near perfect reproductions printed from these photos, that can be framed and mounted in our own homes.
I believe that when our ancestors had these photos taken back in the late 1800's, they had enough copies made to share them with all of the children and relatives. There are more copies around! I've seen more amongst my relatives! Imagine! Our ancestors would never have believed that there images would end up posted on "The Internet" for all the world to see. It reminds me of a poem I found recently.

Your tombstone stands among the rest;
Neglected and alone.
The name and date are chiseled out
On polished, marbled stone.
It reaches out to all who care
It is too late to mourn.
You did not know that I exist
You died and I was born.
Yet each of us are cells of you
In flesh, in blood, in bone.
Our blood contracts and beats a pulse
Entirely not our own.
Dear Ancestor, the place you filled
One hundred years ago
Spreads out among the ones you left
Who would have loved you so.
I wonder if you lived and loved,
I wonder if you knew
That someday I would find this spot,
And come to visit you.
Author Unknown

Mel Ruller&&mruller@cogeco.ca&&1-519-846-0425&&39 Sophia Street, Elora, Ont. N0B 1S0 Canada

IP Logged

Mel Ruller
YaBB Moderator

I love Genealogy!

Reply #6 - Jan 16th, 2005 at 4:00pm

This is a picture of five of Montezuma's daughters. (Ida is missing from this photo) Their identities are written across the bottom of the photo.

This might help to compare with some of the other "unidentified photo's" posted under, "Can you help identify these relatives".

I think this is a photograph of a photograph that I took some years ago. They were identified for me by my dad. That's my writing underneath.

Thanks Mel

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (61 KB | )

Mel Ruller&&mruller@cogeco.ca&&1-519-846-0425&&39 Sophia Street, Elora, Ont. N0B 1S0 Canada

IP Logged

Mel Ruller
YaBB Moderator

I love Genealogy!

Reply #7 - Jan 16th, 2005 at 4:16pm

These Children of Montezuma are identified on the reverse of the photograph as Left to Right, Back row, "Fan, Ida wearing a dress her daughter Rilla bought in New York, Hannah.
Front, Jim Brothers?, (with the (?)), Sarah Brothers

I would guess that some or all of this information came from Rilla, hence the reference to the dress.

The (?) is there after Jim's name, I take that to mean "not sure it's Jim"

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (442 KB | )

IP Logged

Melinda
YaBB Moderator

We should be dancing!

Washington, USA
Reply #8 - Jan 16th, 2005 at 5:05pm

For fun, I have attached the same photo that Mel posted as the 5 daughters of Montezuma with younger faces next to the people they belong to.

Melinda

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (49 KB | )

IP Logged

Melinda
YaBB Moderator

We should be dancing!

Washington, USA
Reply #9 - Jan 16th, 2005 at 8:48pm

And again for fun, I have attached the same photo Mel posted of Montezuma's children identified as Fan, Ida, Hannah, Jim?, and Sarah with younger faces and names next to the people they belong to.  I have put all 4 boys with the questionable Jim? and I believe the picture is of Jim (James).   

Melinda

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (107 KB | )

IP Logged

Randy Ruller
YaBB Administrator

My hovercraft is full
of eels

Casselman, Ontario, Canada
Reply #10 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 1:37pm

In October of 2005 my dad (Mel Ruller) found another copy of the photo “Montezuma's children identified as Fan, Ida, Hannah, Jim?, and Sarah” that was in one of his Mother’s (Barker/Goldspink) family photo albums, and then in his sister Lois’s possession. This photo is much sharper and so I have replaced the copy we had here at the Ruller YaBB, above, up until November of 2005 with this sharper one.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login

The File Info attached by my Dad as part of this image reads:

Identification on the reverse reads: "Charlies Mother and his aunts and uncle. For Lois"
This print was found in a photo album, given to Lois by her mom, (Gladys
Barker)
Scanned 31-Oct-2005 at Mel's home in Elora. Lois has the original image.

The correct identification is left to right
Back Row: Fannie Ferguson, nee Brothers, Ida Ruller, nee Brothers, Hannah Henderson, nee Brothers
Front Row: Charles Brothers, seated beside him is Sarah Shoemaker, nee Brothers"

NOTE: As of November 3, 2005 I don't know why we know "Jim?" is Charles Brothers, but he does resemble him.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login
« Last Edit: Nov 3rd, 2005 at 2:44pm by Randy Ruller »  

Randy Ruller&&randy@randoon.com&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login
IP Logged

Randy Ruller
YaBB Administrator

My hovercraft is full
of eels

Casselman, Ontario, Canada
Reply #11 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 2:38pm

In May of 2005 my dad (Mel Ruller) was out visiting Phyllis Egan in Peachland B.C. and scanned this great photo of Montezuma's Daughters.
Identified from left to right:
Back Row: Ida Ruller, Eliza Ruller, Fanny Ferguson
Front Row: Mary Jane Hargrave, Hannah Henderson , Sarah Shoemaker

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (294 KB | )

Randy Ruller&&randy@randoon.com&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print