Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Our Trees  Our Trees
  Welcome to the Kinfolks.ca Forums!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Brothers_Montezuma_Headstone (Read 7866 times)
Monty Ruller
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Welland Ontario
Brothers_Montezuma_Headstone
Apr 22nd, 2004 at 8:17pm

I took this picture in the summer of 1983. It is hard to read the insription. It says "Montezuma Brothers died June 12 1902 . Aged 83 years, 8 months, 10 days.
« Last Edit: May 8th, 2004 at 6:20am by Mel Ruller »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (413 KB | )

IP Logged

Mel Ruller
YaBB Moderator

I love Genealogy!

Re: Picture of headstone of Montezuma Brothers
Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2004 at 9:46pm

Thanks for the pictures Monty; I've got one of you as a baby with grandma Ida, I'll post one of these days.

I believe the correct date of Montezuma's death is June 17, 1907

He was born in 1824 and lived 83 years plus a few months., that comes to 1907.

The day of his death is the same as his wife, June 17. and the birth date of Fanny Minerva Ruller, or 'Nellie" as she was known to most of her family.
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2004 at 7:15pm by Mel Ruller »  

Mel Ruller&&mruller@cogeco.ca&&1-519-846-0425&&39 Sophia Street, Elora, Ont. N0B 1S0 Canada

IP Logged

Kuau
YaBB Newbies

Nothing nothings.

Maui
Reply #2 - Apr 26th, 2004 at 2:39am

Please tell us where the tombstone is.  Brotherston?

Thanks, db

IP Logged

Monty Ruller
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Welland Ontario
Reply #3 - Apr 26th, 2004 at 8:36pm

If my memory is correct the stone is located on a side road close to Brotherston in a little cemetery sitting on a small hill. There are a number of Ruller and Brothers buried there. The cemetery was in disrepair and over grown with a lot of ground hog holes.

IP Logged

Mel Ruller
YaBB Moderator

I love Genealogy!

Reply #4 - Apr 27th, 2004 at 9:01am

I think the cemetery near Brotherston that Monty is refering to is "South Salem Cemetery" (Not to be confused with Salem, Ontario which is ajacent to Elora, Ontario.) There are a lot of Ruller relatives buried there.

However my records indicate that Montezuma Brothers is buried in the cemetery at Brotherston, behind the church.

Mel Ruller&&mruller@cogeco.ca&&1-519-846-0425&&39 Sophia Street, Elora, Ont. N0B 1S0 Canada

IP Logged

Randy Ruller
YaBB Administrator

My hovercraft is full
of eels

Casselman, Ontario, Canada
Reply #5 - Apr 27th, 2004 at 10:34am

In Monty's post of the Brotherston Church, Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login, you can see the grave yard in the second picture. I think you can see Montezuma's headstone leaning over slightly in that shot.
« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2004 at 11:54am by Randy Ruller »  

Randy Ruller&&randy@randoon.com&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login
IP Logged

Melinda
YaBB Moderator

We should be dancing!

Washington, USA
Reply #6 - Apr 28th, 2004 at 8:44pm

Attached is a copy of Montezuma Brothers' death registration which clearly says he died June 17, 1907.  

Melinda
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2004 at 1:36am by Melinda »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (79 KB | )

IP Logged

Melinda
YaBB Moderator

We should be dancing!

Washington, USA
Reply #7 - Apr 29th, 2004 at 1:35am

Sorry, Randy!  I neglected to mention in my post above that I had attached a picture of Montezuma's death registration which clearly states that he died June 17, 1907.  The post is now modified.

Melinda

IP Logged

Melinda
YaBB Moderator

We should be dancing!

Washington, USA
Reply #8 - Apr 29th, 2004 at 3:38pm

Here is an ariel view of "The Gore" (or what was then known as Brotherston) with drawings below it showing the location of Montezuma's grave.

Melinda
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2004 at 4:57pm by Melinda »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (229 KB | )

IP Logged

Randy Ruller
YaBB Administrator

My hovercraft is full
of eels

Casselman, Ontario, Canada
Reply #9 - Apr 29th, 2004 at 4:20pm

That view is great.

Can we get the image at a higher resolution? Was the original picture cropped?

I can optimize it later.

Randy Ruller&&randy@randoon.com&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login
IP Logged

Melinda
YaBB Moderator

We should be dancing!

Washington, USA
Reply #10 - Apr 29th, 2004 at 5:22pm

Sorry, but this picture was not cropped by me and is at full resolution.  Here it is again with the brightness lightened.  Does that help any?

Melinda

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (1388 KB | )

IP Logged

Melinda
YaBB Moderator

We should be dancing!

Washington, USA
Reply #11 - Apr 29th, 2004 at 5:33pm

Another view of Montezuma's property is located online at the Canadian County Atlas Digital Project,
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login,
if you can go to this direct link.  

On it you will find at the top left "The Gore" on the border of Wallace Township.  Directly below is a large rectangular property also owned by Montezuma that was later sold off.  Just above this rectangular property and next to "The Gore" is property owned by S. Ruller.  I believe this is Samuel Holgate Ruller.  This atlas is dated 1879.

As I understand it, I cannot attach anything but picture files to this web site.  I do have a Word Doc. I made from this online digital atlas that shows all properties mentioned above.  I downloaded several of these county atlases onto a CD (they are huge files), and then can manipulate them to show any angle or combination I want.  If anyone would like to see this Word Doc., please email me directly.

I will post this message under the BROTHERSTON subject line, too.

Melinda

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print