Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Our Trees  Our Trees
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2.5.2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Brothers_and Families at Brotherston (Read 8969 times)
Mel Ruller
YaBB Moderator

I love Genealogy!

Brothers_and Families at Brotherston
Apr 18th, 2004 at 1:01pm

Hi All>

I have posted three photos taken at Brotherston, Ontario, showing, Montezuma Brothers and his wife Hannah and a lot of other family.

The originals of these photos are very faded. The posted images have been "touched up" they are each , now about 1.5mb in size.

The first picture is a view of Brotherston looking towards Montezumas farm in the background, on "the Gore", a triangular piece of land created where the intersecting road meets the main road at an angle.

The four people walking down the road in the foreground are Montezuma Brothers, William Thomas, (W.T.) Ruller, Ida Ruller, (nee Brothers) and Hannah Brothers, (Nee Cunningham) Circa 1895-1900??.
« Last Edit: May 8th, 2004 at 6:13am by Mel Ruller »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (1152 KB | )

Mel Ruller&&mruller@cogeco.ca&&1-519-846-0425&&39 Sophia Street, Elora, Ont. N0B 1S0 Canada

IP Logged

Mel Ruller
YaBB Moderator

I love Genealogy!

Re: Brotherston Photos
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2004 at 8:14pm

This is a view of the front yard of Montezuma and Hannah Brothers home at Brotherston and a whole bunch of other people in the front yard. (That's a Pug that Montezuma is holding, a type of dog they used to own)

If you have the facility to enlarge this photo, some of the other people can be identified from other photos, some of which have already been posted on this forum. Probably also around the turn of the century.

File size about 1.5mb
« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2004 at 8:46pm by Mel Ruller »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (1290 KB | )

Mel Ruller&&mruller@cogeco.ca&&1-519-846-0425&&39 Sophia Street, Elora, Ont. N0B 1S0 Canada

IP Logged

Mel Ruller
YaBB Moderator

I love Genealogy!

Reply #2 - Apr 18th, 2004 at 8:25pm

Here's a photo of Hannah Brothers, (Nee Cunningham) in her front yard.

File size is about 1.5mb
« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2004 at 8:45pm by Mel Ruller »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (1592 KB | )

IP Logged

Mel Ruller
YaBB Moderator

I love Genealogy!

Reply #3 - Apr 21st, 2004 at 8:49pm

To anyone who has tried to download the "Three Pictures of Brotherston that I posted a few days ago, These pictures have now been revised to smaller file size.

They are each now about 1.5mb, or almost 1/10th of the size I originally posted.

This should make them much faster to download

IP Logged

Randy Ruller
YaBB Administrator

My hovercraft is full
of eels

Casselman, Ontario, Canada
Familiar looking family pets
Reply #4 - Apr 22nd, 2004 at 5:10pm

The two pets, in the attachment above, look vaguely familiar to me!  Undecided  Naaa...

My collie, Ashes, was just 7 months old here and still the “Alfa” over Princess, who was 3 1/2 years old and weighed in at just over 80 pounds at the time.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login

Cuddles is a great mouser. I saw a mouse in the closet the day I moved in, 6 years ago and I've never seen another one alive since. I’ll bet Hannah’s was good too.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login

You need RealPlayer installed to view my second clip.
Get it FREE at Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login

Both these clips work well on high speed, however you dialup folks can view them too.
Each clip is about 1.5 MB.

Oh yes, the credits on that 2nd clip was just in fun.
I take full responsibility for production of this video.  Grin
« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2004 at 11:26pm by Randy Ruller »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (102 KB | )

Randy Ruller&&randy@randoon.com&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login
IP Logged

Monty Ruller
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Welland Ontario
Reply #5 - Apr 23rd, 2004 at 5:26pm

Here is a picture of a farm house located at Brotherston taken in summer of 1983. According to my father this was where W.T. Ruller lived.

Monty

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (81 KB | )

IP Logged

Monty Ruller
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Welland Ontario
Reply #6 - Apr 23rd, 2004 at 5:32pm

This a picture of a farm house taken at Brotherston in the summer of 1983. My Father told me this was the home where Ida Brothers lived.

Monty

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (212 KB | )

IP Logged

Randy Ruller
YaBB Administrator

My hovercraft is full
of eels

Brotherston Mennonite Meetinghouse Gowanstown, Ont
Reply #7 - Apr 26th, 2004 at 9:38pm

Wallace Township in Perth County, Ontario began to be settled in the mid-nineteenth century. As farms were cheaper than in Waterloo County, about ten Mennonite families from Waterloo County moved there from 1864-1869. Ministers from Waterloo conducted services in homes every eight weeks from 1865-1867, and thereafter every four weeks.

Montezuma Brothers obtained the six acre triangle, then known as “The Gore” on the sixth line of Wallace from the Crown in April 1867. Soon he donated one acre of this land to the Mennonite congregation for a meeting house and cemetery. Thus this location was called Brotherston. The first burials took place before the meetinghouse was built in 1871. The first structure was a rather crude frame building with board siding.

The first resident minister for this congregation was Isaac Weber who had been ordained in 1869. Levi P. Martin was ordained deacon at the same time. Levi's wife died 25 December 1869 and was the first adult to be buried in the Brotherston Cemetery. A child had been buried there in 1867.

Early family names included Kurtz, Snyder, Bowman, Schuk, Shoemaker, Knipe, Hood, Denny, Martin, Loggins, Karges, Reichard, Shaus, and Brothers.

At the height of the community from 1869-1875 there were about fifty members. However half of the congregation began to affiliate with the "New Mennonite" movement. The more conservative faction separated from the “New” Mennonites, but shared the meetinghouse for a short time. When the New Mennonites claimed the building and installed lights and built a shed for the horses, the conservative group ceased using the building and held services in homes until another meetinghouse was built in 1882 in the neighboring village of Kurtzville.

In spring 1993 the congregation decided to demolish the deteriorating structure and to erect a new one on the same site.

Source: The Mennonite Historical Society of Canada

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (120 KB | )

Randy Ruller&&randy@randoon.com&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login
IP Logged

Randy Ruller
YaBB Administrator

My hovercraft is full
of eels

Reply #8 - Apr 29th, 2004 at 4:59pm

Melinda submitted this more resent aerial photo of the "Gore".
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login, under "Picture of headstone of Montezuma Brothers"

Does anyone know when it was shot?

The original out buildings are gone and only the house and several trees appear to remain.

What is left, if anything of the original buildings and house?

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (256 KB | )

IP Logged

Melinda
YaBB Moderator

We should be dancing!

Washington, USA
Reply #9 - Apr 29th, 2004 at 6:06pm

Another view of Montezuma's property (Brotherston) is located online at the Canadian County Atlas Digital Project,
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login,
if you can go to this direct link.  

On it you will find at the top left "The Gore" on the border of Wallace Township.  Directly below is a large rectangular property also owned by Montezuma that was later sold off.  Just above this rectangular property and next to "The Gore" is property owned by S. Ruller.  I believe this is Samuel Holgate Ruller.  This atlas is dated 1879.

As I understand it, I cannot attach anything but picture files to this web site.  I do have a Word Doc. I made from this online digital atlas that shows all properties mentioned above.  I downloaded several of these county atlases onto a CD (they are huge files), and then can manipulate them to show any angle or combination I want.  If anyone would like to see this Word Doc., please email me directly.

Melinda

IP Logged

Randy Ruller
YaBB Administrator

My hovercraft is full
of eels

Reply #10 - Apr 29th, 2004 at 6:27pm

Excellent!

Here at the YaBB you can post any file type, and as you have found out you can include links as well.

The down side is potential viruses and worms.

I hope everyone is protected  Embarrassed

I do my best to stay on top of the new posts and as of now we are clean. No bad posts.

IP Logged

Melinda
YaBB Moderator

We should be dancing!

Washington, USA
Reply #11 - Apr 29th, 2004 at 6:37pm

Well then, here is the Word Doc. that may give you a little more perspective.

Melinda

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (989 KB | )

IP Logged

Randy Ruller
YaBB Administrator

My hovercraft is full
of eels

Reply #12 - Apr 30th, 2004 at 3:16pm

In Mel’s original post of this thread he included a great picture and states, “The four people walking down the road in the foreground are Montezuma Brothers, William Thomas, (W.T.) Ruller, Ida Ruller, (nee Brothers) and Hannah Brothers, (Nee Cunningham)”

I think the person he suggested is Ida, is in fact her youngest sister Hannah.

One story suggests that Monte and Hannah promised to pay young Hannah $2000.00 plus make her a trunk full of quilts if she would get married.

William Henderson did marry Hannah but he died a few years later. She then moved in with her sister Frances for a while and then back home to the Gore with Mom and Dad.

Every Picture I’ve seen of this girl has her frowning and it has been suggested that she may have been of ill heath. She’s in the picture I’m talking about, of course, Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login.

She’s in the photo in the second post in this thread as well, 2nd from the right, same outfit. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login
I think WT and Ida are 2nd and 3rd from the left.

I have this image of a Family Photo (attached), and this girl is the one in the foreground on the right.

In this photo I thought Ida was the girl in the back row second from the right, and the guy to her right sure looks like the fellow I think is WT in the second photo.

Since I don’t think person #3 is Ida, I am also doubtful that the identity of person #2 is WT Ruller.

This picture didn’t help in my identifying anyone however Monty has posted this photo of WT and Ida, shot in or about Nov of 1958. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login

Ironically my Dad has a nice “old” enlargement of the same shot.
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2004 at 7:20pm by Randy Ruller »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (1126 KB | )

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print