Send Topic Print
Brotherston Documents (Read 4684 times)
Mel Ruller
YaBB Moderator

I love Genealogy!

Brotherston Documents
Apr 30th, 2004 at 8:06pm

Hi All:

I'm posting two documents (in 2 posts) regarding Montezuma's replacement as postmaster immediately after his death. This shows that Montezuma was the Postmaster of Brotherston, right up to his death at 83 years old!

The post office was quick to follow up. The first document from them is dated June 25, 1907, (8 days after Montezuma's death) and the second one is dated July 2, 1907

Mel

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (97 KB | )

Mel Ruller&&mruller@cogeco.ca&&1-519-846-0425&&39 Sophia Street, Elora, Ont. N0B 1S0 Canada

IP Logged

Mel Ruller
YaBB Moderator

I love Genealogy!

Re: Brotherston Documents
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2004 at 8:07pm

Here's the second document from the Post Office after Montezuma's death

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (196 KB | )

Mel Ruller&&mruller@cogeco.ca&&1-519-846-0425&&39 Sophia Street, Elora, Ont. N0B 1S0 Canada

IP Logged

Melinda
YaBB Moderator

We should be dancing!

Washington, USA
Montezuma as Postmaster
Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2004 at 8:41pm

And here is the direct link on the Canadian National Archives site that shows the time frame that Montezuma was postmaster as well as his replacement, Catherine Bender, that Mel's document above showed.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login

However, I don't know if I would classify his vacancy due to death as a "resignation".   

Melinda

IP Logged

Melinda
YaBB Moderator

We should be dancing!

Washington, USA
Wesley Brothers as Postmaster
Reply #3 - Apr 30th, 2004 at 8:47pm

Here is another direct link from the N/A that shows Wesley Brothers, Montezuma's son, as the postmaster of the Lebanon, Wellington County post office.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login

I think these long links are making the posts elongated.   Undecided

Melinda

IP Logged

Randy Ruller
YaBB Administrator

My hovercraft is full
of eels

Casselman, Ontario, Canada
Reply #4 - May 24th, 2004 at 11:37am

Above are two wonderful examples of government
form letters from the early 1900’s, posted by Dad (Mel).

At this time women were barely recognized as citizens,
however the secretary or the Post-Office Inspector
did attempt to amend these documents before sending
them to, a most likely still grieving, Hannah Brothers.
« Last Edit: May 25th, 2004 at 4:59pm by Randy Ruller »  

Randy Ruller&&randy@randoon.com&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login
IP Logged

Mel Ruller
YaBB Moderator

I love Genealogy!

Reply #5 - May 24th, 2004 at 4:05pm

Quote:
Above are two wonderful examples of government form letters from the early 1900’s. At this time women were barely recognized as citizens, however the secretary for the Post-Office Inspector did attempt to amend these documents.

When I view the attachment all I see is what looks like an index to the document. I don't see the actual document. Do You?

Am I missing something?
Thks Mel

Oh! maybe you're refering to Mel's posted documents, not Melinda's?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print