Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Our Trees  Our Trees
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2.5.2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Brothers_Hannah, (Nee Cunningham) (Read 11430 times)
Mel Ruller
YaBB Moderator

I love Genealogy!

Brothers_Hannah, (Nee Cunningham)
May 4th, 2004 at 6:34am

I'm posting some old postcards from Charles Brothers to his mother, Hannah. This first one is dated just 11 days after Montezuma's death!
It looks like Charles was on a trip to the West Coast. Perhaps with an errand related to his father's death?
This first card is dated the 28th of June 1907,

Be sure to scroll down these Acrobat images to see both the back as well as the front of the cards.
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2005 at 8:38am by Mel Ruller »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (107 KB | )

Mel Ruller&&mruller@cogeco.ca&&1-519-846-0425&&39 Sophia Street, Elora, Ont. N0B 1S0 Canada

IP Logged

Mel Ruller
YaBB Moderator

I love Genealogy!

Re: Brothers
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2004 at 6:38am

This second card is dated the 13th of July 1907 and is from Field B.C.

As always, scroll down to see the front of the card.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (104 KB | )

Mel Ruller&&mruller@cogeco.ca&&1-519-846-0425&&39 Sophia Street, Elora, Ont. N0B 1S0 Canada

IP Logged

Mel Ruller
YaBB Moderator

I love Genealogy!

Reply #2 - May 4th, 2004 at 6:42am

This third card is dated the 26th of August 1907 and is from Trout Lake Michigan. This would appear that Charles was now on his way back "from the Coast" .

Note it also appears that  he was travelling by train and that part of the trip was through the USA.

Apparently Charles didn't think much of Trout Lake Michigan, although the picture of the Iriquois Hotel looks pretty good.

This card is addressed to the "Newbridge Post Office." I remember hearing the old folks talking about Newbridge as if it were a tiny village nearby.

This is the last of these 1907 post cards that I have, but I do have more cards and letters of later dates. I'll post them later.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (108 KB | )

IP Logged

Melinda
YaBB Moderator

We should be dancing!

Washington, USA
Reply #3 - May 4th, 2004 at 9:01am

Newbridge stills exists and is in Howick Township, Huron County, Ontario.

Go to, Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login,
scroll to the bottom and put in Newbridge.  You can even use this search engine if a place no longer exists.

Melinda

IP Logged

Mel Ruller
YaBB Moderator

I love Genealogy!

Reply #4 - May 6th, 2004 at 2:13pm

I'm Posting another post card from Charles Brothers to his Mother dated Sept 3, 1909. (postmarked the 4th)

In it he says he's still in Toronto, working away at the horses.

Since the card is from the Toronto Exhibition and the date is about right, perhaps Charles had some of his horses at the exhibition? The horse and other farm animals have always been a big part of that exhibition

Mel

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (106 KB | )

IP Logged

Mel Ruller
YaBB Moderator

I love Genealogy!

Re: Brothers_Hannah, (Nee Cunningham)
Reply #5 - May 8th, 2004 at 3:58pm

Here's a postcard to Mrs. M. Brothers,"Grandmother" at Brotherston, from Sade & Roy, dated Dec 19, 1907

Can anyone figure out who Sade & Roy are?

If you can, please post a reply to this posting. (Hit the reply button below.)

The card is  post Marked from Chicago and the message reads,

"Have been in Chicago all day on our way back to Winnipeg.
Merry Christmas & best wishes to all.
From Sade & Roy"

The card is an obvious Christmas card and the senders imply that they lived in Winnipeg,

(Maybe they were returning from Brotherston?)

Note that this card is dated the same year as Montezuma's death.

Also see the next card, (in the next posting), also from Sade & Roy, from Winnipeg about a month later, January 29, 1908

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (113 KB | )

IP Logged

Mel Ruller
YaBB Moderator

I love Genealogy!

Reply #6 - May 8th, 2004 at 4:18pm

Here is a second card from Roy & Sade, postmarked January 29, 1908 from Winnipeg.

Again this one is to "Grandma", addressed to Mrs. M. Brothers at Brotherston, Ontario.

I'm still trying to figure out who are "Roy & Sade".

Let me know if you figure it out.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login (121 KB | )

IP Logged

Carole Chapman
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Parry Sound, Ontario
Reply #7 - May 21st, 2004 at 11:16am

Hi Mel:  Checked my genfile and I believe that Roy and Sade are Alexander Roy Brothers (son of Charles Thomas Brothers) and Sarah Adeline (nee Hayter) aka Sade.  This has been verified thru communication with Charles Graham Brothers (son of Roy Brothers).  Melinda and I have been discussing the date of one of the postcards you posted from Roy & Sade to Hannah Brothers since it indicates they were in Chicago on their way back to Winnipeg.  Problem is, it's the same date they were married in Middlesex, Ontario!  Yet another mystery. 
Carole

IP Logged

Mel Ruller
YaBB Moderator

I love Genealogy!

Reply #8 - May 21st, 2004 at 5:24pm

Also notice that the Dec 19th card says "on our way back to Winnipeg" so if that was their wedding date or close to it, was one or both of them living in Winnipeg before their wedding? And not only that, did they live in Winnipeg after their wedding for a little while??

Notice that there is a 2nd post card from Roy & Sade to "Grandma" postmarked in Winnipeg Manitoba on Jan 29, 1908, exactly one month after the mystery card from Chicago.

Since their wedding date is Dec 19, 1907, in Ontario,  did they live in Winnipeg before and after their marriage? Or did they go on an extended honeymoon to Winnipeg via Chicago?

I've checked my records and have very little information about Roy & Sade, but there is no mention of them ever living outside of Ontario?

Their first child, Charles Hayter Brothers, was born at Baseline, Bayfield, Ontario, on October 3, 1908, so they were apparently back to Ontario by then. The rest of their children were all born in Stratford, Ontario, except Constance, who was born in Fort William Ontario. (That is closer to Winnipeg all right)

Mystery still unsolved.
« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2004 at 6:25am by Mel Ruller »  

IP Logged

Randy Ruller
YaBB Administrator

My hovercraft is full
of eels

Casselman, Ontario, Canada
Reply #9 - May 25th, 2004 at 12:56am

Here are two wonderful examples of government
form letters from the early 1900’s, posted by Dad (Mel), elsewhere in the YaBB.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login

At this time women were barely recognized as citizens,
however the secretary or the Post-Office Inspector
did attempt to amend these documents before sending
them to, a most likely still grieving, Hannah Brothers.
« Last Edit: May 25th, 2004 at 5:00pm by Randy Ruller »  

Randy Ruller&&randy@randoon.com&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print